Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Lord's Prayer becomes mine...

The Lord’s Prayer becomes mine...
I spent 2 years refusing to say the Lord’s prayer. I did not understand the implications of it, but understood that asking for the Kingdom of God to come to earth was a substantial request. I promised myself that I would not utter those words until I understood the gravity of their meaning.
“Our Father (Abba) in Heaven,
Hallowed (honored, blessed) is Your name (that I carry).
Let the things of heaven, the beauty of restoration come to earth as it is in heaven, let us bring them.
We ask for provision of our daily needs.
Please forgive us for the wrongs we have done, and help us to forgive others.
Please protect us, and steer us from temptation and doubt,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the Kingdom forever.
Amen.” 
Matthew 6: 9-12 (but its adapted into my own words...whoops)
This prayer has the power to transform every step I take. 
Even in the opening line, “Our Father”, my father. He is my Abba, my Father and that is a vivid depiction of the intimacy He calls me to. And in that, to be assured that as His daughter, He takes delight in me, in addressing Him as His child.
for you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship (daughter). And by him we cry “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.”
romans 8:15-16
I am His daughter. I carry His name. 
“for this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom ihs whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.”
ephesians 3:14-15
My identity cannot be compartmentalized so that I am removed from His name, just as my name cannot be changed depending on my lifestyle or mood.
I hold tremendous responsibility. As I walk through life, am I wearing His name well? 
Am I encouraging others to wear His name well? 
“for you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.” 
ephesians 5:8-10
The Kingdom piece. I cannot, and will not consolidate 2 years of research into a small portion of a message. But I will explore the importance of it. 
When I ask for the Kingdom of heaven to come to earth, I am asking for pieces of restoration and hope to be visible to others and to myself. I am asking for God to make right what the world has made wrong.
I have 2 moments that I call my Kingdom moments: Once in Honduras and once in India. I am not saying that the Lord only provides Kingdom moments abroad, God just knew my heart and knew how to bless me. 
While on a trip to Honduras, I, along with my family, had the opportunity to visit a brand new school for children with special needs. This was unheard of in Honduras. As I walked through the door of the school, I was overwhelmed with tears of joy. I could not contain myself. God had restored hope and worth to these children that would otherwise be void of either. Children that would have been shoved to the side were receiving care and education. Their needs were being met. THIS is God’s Kingdom. 
The second Kingdom moment took place in India. I, along with my team, visited a restoration center for women and children rescued from red light districts in India. Again, my heart swelled with the beauty of the picture of heaven I was able to observe. Women and children that would otherwise receive carelessness and live in despair, were being told how beautiful and worthwhile they are. 
God’s Kingdom makes right what the world has made wrong. God’s plan, His intent, is to bring restoration and reconciliation to ALL of His children. 


When I am asking for the Kingdom of heaven to come to earth, I am asking God to bring pieces of hope and reminders of His promises. And I strive to wear His name well enough to help bring that as well. 
Why would I keep myself from asking for that?

1 comment:

  1. oh, erin. i cried when i read this. thank you for reminding me that God will still meet us on earth. i'm so tired some days, i forget and i don't think i represent things too well. but after reading your kingdom moment in honduras, i am reminded that God is so much bigger than my small self and sometimes what is important isn't fun, but awesome in the outcome.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete